Large Desks for Home Office
If you frequently work at your house, creating the right home office is critical to your comfort and productivity. Hunching over your laptop at the breakfast table, or trying to work from your couch may be sufficient for an occasional work-from-home day. However, if you find yourself regularly logging long hours working at home you will be a lot more organized and productive by setting up a well-designed home office – starting with the right desk.
Choosing a desk is extremely important as it will be the main component of your home office. Measure the space where your desk will go so you know what dimensions you need, then visit Allen Wayside Furniture Superstore and browse through the various styles available. See what looks appealing to you while also considering what type of desk will work best for you.
There are many different styles of desks to choose from, so you should be able to find the right one for your needs. Styles can range from a drafting desk with an adjustable tilt top, to a simple writing desk, to a large desk with multiple drawers and a credenza. Other choices to consider include L-shaped or corner desks, which provide more surface area, but also take up a lot of space. If you don’t have much room for a desk and/or don’t work full time from your home office, a good option would be choosing an armoire, secretary or roll top style. The advantage of these types of desks is that they take up less room and when you are done working, you can simply cover the work space, helping to mentally keep your work and home life separate.
Some other questions to consider include:
- Will you be using a desktop computer or a laptop? If it’s a desktop, is there a built-in cabinet to store the computer tower?
- Do you use multiple monitors or just one?
- Would you prefer a pull-out drawer for your keyboard?
- Would you prefer that the desk come with holes or channel so it will be easy to plug in any cords to power sources and the internet?
- Do you need drawers, and if so, do you have a preference if they are on the left or right?
- Are you going to need a lot of surface space, or do you just need a place to set your laptop?
Proper ergonomics is also critical. You will be sitting at your desk for long periods of time over the course of several years, and you will want to be comfortable. If possible, sit at the desk in a chair similar to the one you will be using at home to make sure it is the right height for you. There should be plenty of leg room, and your arms and hands should rest comfortably on the desk. The standard desk height of 30” works for most people, but it’s always a good idea to make sure.